The first haircut is a learning experience, so don’t expect perfection. Your little client may not sit still or hold his head in the right position, but that’s okay! The whole point of this trip is to help him get used to having his hair cut and develop some trust in you as his barber. It’s also important that you tell him what you’re doing at each step–this will reassure him and make sure he knows what’s going on.
If he doesn’t seem interested in talking while getting his hair cut (or if he gets distracted by something else), try putting the tv on Nickelodeon or putting one of his favorite videos on YouTube on the phone while waiting for your turn at the chair; this can keep both of your minds occupied until it’s time for him to sit down.
Make it a fun event
There are a few ways you can make the experience fun. First, ask him what he wants to do with his hair. This will help him feel like he has some control over the process and gives him something to look forward to in addition to getting rid of his baby locks. Second, ask him how he would like his hair cut (e.g., short or long). If possible, entice him with a lollipop (with parent’s permission) if he sits still for his cut.
Ask questions and listen to the answers.The first haircut is a big deal. You want to get it right, but you also don’t want to make your little client feel uncomfortable or anxious about the experience. The key here is patience and making sure that everyone involved is having fun. Here are some tips on how to do that:
1. Be friendly to your little client when he walks in the door. Say a few words to try to relax him.
2. Make sure mom has his fave video on the phone or put on Nickelodeon on the shop tv
3. With parent’s permission, entice little man with a lollipop if he sits still.
4. Remember, all of these techniques are ways to ease little man’s emotions but he may still cry or move a lot. However, as his barber, you must show patience, be gentle and smile.
5. Make sure mom/dad understands that the first haircut may not look like the cuts on the internet.
Make the first hairstyle an easy one.